11.27.2010

An Orphan Thanksgiving

This year we spent Thanksgiving with a few other orphans living in Guam without family. Good times were had, yummy food was devoured, and delectable desserts were savored. We all missed spending the holidays with our families, but these folks are as close as it comes to family out here.

Please meet our orphan crew:
From left: Diane, Robert, Tina, Sam, and Baldo

Our dinner didn't start until about 7:30 because we had to wait until Baldo and Tina were done with the news show. Tina let Baldo fill in as co-anchor that night. He did great!

Sam spent all day giving TLC to the turkey...and it was amazing.
Yum, yum, turkey drum!

Finally, the moment to chow arrived.

Can I get a "what-what" for how svelte my main squeeze is looking these days?

What holiday celebration isn't complete without a little Martinelli's? (but literally a little Martinelli's...get it? The bottle is little.)

Because of all the wonderful food, I changed into my comfy clothes about 10 minutes into dinner. Skinny jeans should be prohibited on Thanksgiving Day.
Go Devils!

Please meet our new friend, Black Forrest Cake.
He's definitely the reason I had to change into my comfy clothes.
And yes, I'm eating some leftover cake as I write this post. You would be too if you knew how good it was.

We survived our first holiday away from family, but we thought of them often. This year I'm grateful for the technology that allows us to communicate often with our families. I'm comforted knowing they are a Skype session or a Gmail call away. These luxuries make our long distance from home easier to bear.

We hope your Thanksgiving Day was enjoyable, although we know it's nearly impossible without us there.

I'm only kidding.

Sort of.


5 comments:

The Richardson's said...

Although I do not think I have ever spent Thanksgiving with you...I know my holiday was not the same without you in the same country as me!!!

Glad you still had some fun and I am super jealous of that cake!! Yum, Yum!!!!

sbdunn said...

Ha! I was so glad to see Green Bean Casserole on your plate! My husband and I have been having a debate over whether green bean casserole is Thanksgiving fare. He says no I say yes. Chalk one up for me, thanks so much!!
Glad your Thanksgiving was nice.

miss chaz. said...

yummm. cake.

i'm glad you guys had a good thanksgiving. and i'm sure your fam barely survived without you. i'm SURE of it!
;)
look at Baldo! he's like famous.

miss chaz. said...

oh i just remembered your wreath question.

YES! they were very easy to make! you need a wire hanger, a glue gun and 50-70 balls (i know. it's a lot. try to look for deals...i would say home depot, target or hobby lobby. but yeah, your in guam. so i don't know...)

bend the wire into a circle. glue the caps on the balls. slide them on. twist them around (different sizes are great). use pliers to twist the top of the wire wreath...you can add a little piece of wire to the top to hang it.

and that's it!
you're welcome.
:)

Lauren said...

Chaz, thanks for the info on the ornament wreath! That does sound super easy!