5.11.2010

Forever Young

What do I do at night when my husband is at my parent's house catching up on LOST? Wikipedia my upcoming age: 26. Yes, the big day is Thursday, and yes, I just used "wikipedia" as a verb...sue me. Normally birthdays send me into fits of giddiness, but this year I find myself unprepared. Unprepared for accepting that I'm officially in the second half of my twenties. I'm SURE my students think of me as a washed-up grown up who is always telling them to spit out their gum, pull up their pants (Baldo would want me to add that he hears that a lot too), and watch their language.

But wasn't it just yesterday when I was able to stay up later than 11:00? Wear a swimsuit without worrying about what my thighs looked like? Eat Top Ramen everyday without care? Stand up after sitting cross-legged without my knees going into shock? Will myself to do a backflip off the diving board?

When did this happen?

At least I don't have gray hair...yet.

Dramatics aside, let's look at number 26's claims to fame:

a rhombicuboctahedron has 26 sides

26 letters in the English alphabet

men can no longer be drafted in the US at age 26 (lucky for me?)

26 is the gematric number of the true name of god- YHWH

26 is the atomic number of iron

26 is the number of spacetime dimensions in bosonic string theory (sounds exciting)

in a normal deck of cards there are 26 red cards and 26 black cards

there are often 26 episodes in a television program each year

See? 26 is exciting. I have tons to look forward to, unless I was hoping to be drafted. But then I would have to be a man...

When is Baldo coming home?


5 comments:

The Richardson's said...

26 will forever be my favorite age...I had my first kid at 26!! (and he was a total surprise...so watch out! haha)

I think that being in your late 20's gives you distinction. If you say you are 25 or under, you still sound like a kid...now you are an adult and people will take you more seriously.

Plus- the gray hairs are right around the corner, so enjoy every age until that happens!!

HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Alisa said...

you're too funny--though let's be serious. there is no way you can ever worry about wearing even the teensiest swimsuit, ya look great!

i feel as though i've proactively propelled myself into my late 20s-early 30s by having a baby AT 20. the support belt im wearing on my stomach, the pills im taking (which i think are creating an ulcer), the hard time walking im having (it really was funny limping across asu yesterday)and my legitimately flabby thighs that are slowly but surely going away with my ultimate breastfeeding workout!

have a great birthday, live it up! hope we see you soon!

sbdunn said...

I never thought of 26 in so many ways. . .

Ashley Majorek said...

26 is super fun! You are definitely not considered a youngen, but at the same time you are not considered old...ha ha ha!

I got my 1st gray hair at 26 so watch out!! (although I just had twin boys and it was only 1 hair and I pulled that sucker out right away!!)

Happy 26 and may it be lots and lots of fun :o)

dalisinere said...

haha you crack me up! I hope you had a good birthday. love ya!