1.22.2011

So You Want to Be a Librarian?

Yes, yes I do.

A master's in Library and Information Science wasn't always a part of my life plan. It wasn't until I moved to Guam and exposed myself to their library system that I discovered my passion for community literacy.

This month I begin my master's program in the School of Library and Information Science at San Josè State University. This decision has catapulted me into adulthood. While completing my undergrad I probably spent too much time socializing and not enough time studying. I probably didn't realize how much money my dad was paying for my education. I probably could have tried harder to get straight As instead of waiting until my last semester to fully apply myself.

This time around, my life is a little different. I'm married. I'm financing my own education. I'm a teacher and understand the value of time management. I like to think I am more mature and have more to bring to the table.

I'm ready.

Daily I advocate education as the most important investment. Recently in class my students read an excerpt from Kaffir Boy that began with the following quote:

"Education opens doors where none seem to exist."

I was a believer, and now I am a doer.

On a lighter note, I found a video that suited this occasion. Enjoy.






5 comments:

The Richardson's said...

I was the same way about my education. I did fine- but kind of goofed around in my undergrad. Thankfully- I worked much harder in my Master's program too.

Not that straight A's really matter, but it made me feel good about myself.

Good for you getting excited about becoming a librarian. All I know is that I never fully appreciated their power until working at Aprende. Jaime was the best librarian ever and she got the kids so excited to read. My students were reading all of the time and were so excited to get new books. What a joy that was to see!!

I hope my own kids get the same experience from their librarians and get so excited to read and learn.

Hooray for you!!!

Alisa said...

You are officially my third friend currently earning their master's in Library and Information Science! Honestly, it has always sounded like an awesome degree. One of my friends that is doing it through UofA is currently applying for an internship at the Library of Congress!Seriously, cool! You go girl!

miss chaz. said...

Go YOU!
That is totally awesome. Sounds like a great program.

caitlinanne said...

You go girl. You know how i feel about libraries....

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! Better late than never, honey. Love you! Dad